We offer two types of event sponsorship:
- Community event sponsorship - for funding up to $5,000; and
- Event sponsorship – for funding from $5,000.
Community event sponsorship
Major Event Sponsorship – for funding from $5,000
Hamilton City Council has a goal to promote the city through the support of events in Hamilton and has a priority to focus on events and business tourism. The goal is best described as the promotion of Hamilton as a business and event visitor destination of note.
Hamilton’s Major Event Sponsorship fund is designed to provide support to organisations delivering events in line with Hamilton’s objectives. The application of the Event Sponsorship fund will focus on larger event opportunities where exposure will reach well beyond Hamilton delivering high profile coverage and where it will attract significant numbers of visitors.
Hamilton receives many requests for sponsorship therefore allocation of funds is highly contestable. The money is a sponsorship and not a grant. Hamilton is to be treated as any commercial sponsor would in terms of recognition and benefits and this is negotiated on an individual basis with approved applicants. Sponsorship funding will be allocated to support the effective organisation and marketing of events, and is not intended to fund operating shortfalls.
Application funding and deadline - 2018/19
Applications for Council's 2018/19 event sponsorship funding round will be accepted from 16 April to 14 May 2018.
Council's Community and Services Committee make the decisions on all applications at its meeting on 7 June, 2018.
Please be aware the Committee can receive applications outside of this round but event organisers should be aware the fund is highly contestable.
- To ensure best value from Council’s investments and that a fair and transparent process is used in the allocation of event sponsorship funds.
- Aligned to Council’s Economic Development Agenda to seek to lift Hamilton’s event profile and capability awareness.
- To develop new long term business opportunities for Hamilton Businesses.
- Establish event tourism strategies and new community opportunities as a result
Showing you meet the criteria
You’ll need to successfully show us that your event will result in at least one of the benefits listed under the criteria:
- Exposure and promotion for the city
The event lifts the status, awareness or profile of Hamilton through the media exposure it receives (international/national & local). It helps position Hamilton as New Zealand's premier events destination and provides proof of Hamilton's positioning as a go-ahead, modern, achieving and well-balanced city.
- Economic benefits for the city
The event increases the number of people who would normally come into the city at that time thereby providing potential benefit to local businesses. Events that bring in new money and result in people staying in Hamilton are more desirable. Supports events that bring visitors to Hamilton.
- Promote pride and sense of place for Hamilton residents
The event gives local residents and those living outside Hamilton, additional entertainment choice and recreational opportunities as well as creating a more vibrant and interesting local lifestyle.
All application assessments will be considered both collectively (with other applications) and independently upon their respective merit in order to ensure a balanced portfolio of event categories (types) and year round weighting. There will be three primary categories considered.
- Emerging events that are new and warrant a kick-start sponsorship investment as they are seen to have significant long term growth potential for the city.
- Cornerstone long standing events that have proven performance in delivering high profile for Hamilton; add to the city’s value proposition and where Council’s ongoing sponsorship support will drive incremental visitation and expansion opportunity.
- Significant one-off events that present an opportunity to deliver substantial benefits to Hamilton by way of profile, increased visitation and new business opportunities (economic outcome).
The principal criteria and guidance for sponsorship assessment include:
- Aligned with the Hamilton City vision, profile, and broader strategies;
- Quantified/proven exposure benefits and distinctiveness for Hamilton nationally (and internationally) and across business at large;
- Evidence of target audience/attendance at regional / national / international levels;
- Generation of overnight visitation to the city;
- Significant number of anticipated participants and future growth potential;
- Utilisation of city facilities and assets;
- Strong leverage opportunities and community support;
- Existing interests and relationships that may give rise to a potential conflict of interest;
How to apply
Applications for the Council's Major Events Sponsorship funding round will be accepted from 16 April to 4 May 2018.
All proposals should be submitted using the correct application form and must:
- Present a concept or broad outline of the event
- Nominate a date, time and proposed location or venue
- Identify who owns the event and who will be delivering or producing it and their experience
- Provide a business plan for the event with goals, objective and strategies including milestones and organisation structure
- Provide expected attendance numbers from local, regional and international audiences for the event
- Outline a package offering benefits to Hamilton
- Provide a detailed budget outlining the event costs together with cash flow projections, profit and loss forecasts. This will also include a list of confirmed and potential sponsors both financial and in-kind (with dollars confirmed/sought).
- Provide a detailed marketing and promotional plan designed to capture target market which includes:
- Marketing objectives
- Marketing strategies including advertising/PR activity
- Marketing and promotions plan budget
- Credentials of the organisation/person executing the marketing plan
- If available, provide an economic impact report.
Event Sponsorship Application Form (MS Word, 50KB)
Event Sponsorship Application Form (PDF, 450KB)
Please forward your application before the closing date, 14 May, to:
Venues, Tourism and Major Events
Hamilton City Council
Private Bag 3010
Attention: Jennie Lavis – Major Event Sponsorship Application
Note: Incomplete or late applications will not be considered eligible for assessment.