Proposed District Plan - latest version
The "Appeals Version" of the PDP is the latest version. It is being updated as appeals are resolved. View the Appeals Version, the appeals lodged with the Environment Court, consent orders granted and case management minutes issued by the Environment Court.
In November 2015, Hamilton City Council notified the Ruakura Variation to the Proposed District Plan for public consultation and submissions. The purpose of the Variation is to rezone approximately 822ha of land in Ruakura, ensuring a consistent approach to managing development in the area.
In total, Council received 50 submissions to the Ruakura Variation, which account for 675 submission points. The Further Submission period ran from 17 February until 2 March 2016. Hearings are scheduled for August 2016.
For any questions relating to the Ruakura Variation, please contact us on email@example.com or 07 838 6909.
Proposed District Plan Notified December 2012
Volume 1 - Chapters 1 to 26 (20 MB)
Volume 2 - Appendices 1 - 16 (43 MB)
Volume 2 - Appendix 17 Planning Maps (44 MB)
Section 32 Analysis (6 MB)
Decisions on Proposed District Plan – 9 July 2014
Following hearings and consideration of submissions, the Decisions on the Proposed District Plan were released on 9 July 2014.
Decisions on deferred matters – 18 February 2015
Decisions on some sections of the Proposed District Plan were deferred from the main release of decisions on 9 July 2014, including matters relating to land adjacent to Lake Waiwhakareke, water efficiency measures, Chapter 12 Te Rapa North Industrial Zone and Ruakura. The decisions on the first three matters are available here.
The appeals period closed on 22 August 2014. Forty-five appeals were lodged with the Environment Court, and five have since been withdrawn.
An "Appeals Version" of the Proposed District Plan is available. Click here to view the Appeals Version, the appeals lodged with the Environment Court, consent orders granted and case management minutes issued by the Environment Court.
Click here to see fact sheets relating to new provisions within the Proposed District Plan.
- Importance of the central city
- Higher density residential development
- A hierarchy of business centres
- High quality urban design
- Protection of character areas
- Restoration and protection of our natural environment and heritage
- Has a thriving centre
- Manages growth sustainably
- Embraces the Waikato River
- Values, preserves and protects its natural environment
- Is attractive, well-designed and compact with outstanding architecture and distinctive public spaces
- Is safe and easy to get around
- Is a fun place to live with a vibrant arts scene
Council has consulted stakeholders and the community to develop the Proposed District Plan. This included:
- Identification of significant resource management issues for Hamilton – Fast Forward Discussion Document, February 2010
- Development of issues and options through the Big Picture Outcomes and Options Discussion Document, August 2010
- Preparation of a Draft District Plan for feedback, April 2012
- Notification of Proposed District Plan, December 2012
There are notable changes (local and other) between the existing Operative District Plan and the Proposed District Plan. The local changes include:
Changes in zoning
Transport Corridor ranking
Arterial Transport Corridor protection areas
Flood hazard areas
Waikato Riverbank and Gully Hazard Area
Significant Natural Areas
Historical Heritage and Archaeological and Cultural sites classification
Electrical Transmission Corridors
Ruakura Structure Plan
Further Submissions Received
Addendum to Summary of Decisions and Further Submissions
1 Plan Overview and 2 Strategic Framework (3 MB)
25.15 Urban Design (454 KB)
5.8 Noise and Vibration (1.48 MB)
20 NaturalEnvironments (11 MB)
21 Waikato River & Gully Systems (649 KB)
25.2 Earthworks and Vegetation Removal (630 KB)
19 Historic Heritage (8.4 MB)
25.13 Three Waters (840 KB)
5 Special Character Zones (8.6 MB)
25.7 Network Utilities (1.7 MB)
17 Major Facilities Zone (1 MB)
13 Rototuna Town Centre Zone (1.5 MB)
18 Transport Corridor Zone and 25.14 Transportation (6.3 MB)
23 Subdivision (10.5 MB)
24 Financial Contributions (4 MB)
3 Structure Plans (Rotokauri, Rototuna, Peacockes, Ruakura) (19 MB)
Evidence of Alastair Black, Gray Matter, regarding Structure Plans (10.6 MB)
9 Industrial Zone (9 MB)
12 Te Rapa North Industrial Zone (5 MB)
Planning Maps (5 MB)
Definitions (5 MB)
Appendix 1, Vol 2 (8 MB)
Appendix 1, Vol 2 - Addendum (212 KB)
Miscellaneous (350 KB)
Supplementary Report (580 KB)
Business 3 and 4 Zones - Supplementary Report (5.5 MB)
Memorandum in response to "Porter Group" in respect of Business 3 and 4 zone (3 MB)
Strategic Framework - Supplementary Report (796 KB)
November 2014 (Reconvened)
25.13 Three Waters - Part of Rule 22.214.171.124 a) (1.5 MB)
Zoning of site known as ‘Lot 2 DP 425316’ adjacent to Lake Waiwhakareke (8.8 MB)
December 2014 (Reconvened)
Chapter 12 Te Rapa North Industrial Zone Concept Development Plan Provisions (4.7 MB)
Giving Effect to the Plan
- No submissions in opposition have been made which could result in a change to a rule; or
- Where submissions in opposition have been made that could result in a change to a rule, the submitter has not lodged an appeal challenging Council’s decision on that submission.