16 April 2016
Applications for Hamilton City Council’s Major Event Sponsorship Fund are now open.
Today (16 April) marks the opening for the application period for the fund, which provides sponsorship over $5,000 to major event organisers.
Hamilton City Council’s General Manager of Venues, Tourism and Major Events, Sean Murray, says in 2018/19 a total of $384,000 is available to provide support to organisations delivering events in line with Hamilton’s objectives.
For the 2017/18 financial year, the following events received funding:
• Hamilton Christmas Charitable Trust events 2017
• Four Nations Hockey 2018
• Hamilton Gardens Arts Festival 2018
• 2018 Jennian Homes NZ Track & Field Championships
• NZ Marching Championships 2018
• Balloons over Waikato 2018.
The application of the Event Sponsorship Fund will focus on larger event opportunities where exposure will reach well beyond Hamilton, delivering significant and high-value coverage and attract large numbers of visitors.
“Ideally an application will show us the event will result in exposure, promotion and economic benefit for the city as well as promoting pride and a sense of place for Hamiltonians,” Mr Murray says.
Applicant organisations interested in applying for funding need to ensure their events help to achieve the objectives and meet the criteria of Council’s Event Sponsorship Policy.
Those objectives are:
• ensuring best value from the Council’s investment, and a fair and transparent allocation process
• alignment to the Council’s economic development agenda – available on our website – which seeks to lift the city’s event profile and capability
• development of new long-term business opportunities for the city’s businesses
• establish event tourism strategies and community opportunities resulting from funded events.
The principal criteria and guidance for sponsorship assessment include:
• aligned with the Council’s vision, profile, and broader strategies
• quantified/proven exposure benefits and distinctiveness for Hamilton nationally (and internationally) and across business at large
• evidence of target audience/attendance at regional/national/international levels
• generation of overnight visitation to the city
• significant number of anticipated participants and future growth potential
• utilisation of the city’s facilities and assets
• strong leverage opportunities and community support
• no existing interests and relationships that may give rise to a potential conflict of interest.
More information and details on how to apply to the fund can be found http://www.hamilton.govt.nz/our-city/cityevents/eventfunding/
Applications for the Major Event Sponsorship Fund close at 4pm on 14 May 2018.