Lynda Hallinan, New Zealand's leading garden writer
Hamilton Gardens is one of our city’s biggest success stories and the awarding-winning International Garden of the Year in 2014.
Over the past 30 years the community, local trusts and the Council have worked to transform this former rubbish site into a world-class garden. Now we plan to create even more gardens with our new Gardens’ Plan.
Why is this project important?
Hamilton Gardens is the most visited tourist attraction in the Waikato with approximately a million visits
- The Gardens will contribute to growing the Waikato’s billion dollar tourism industry
- It is estimated this project will pay for itself in three years and it will generate $14.5 million per year
- The Gardens host hundreds of events every year including the renowned Hamilton Gardens Arts Festival
- The Gardens has won increasing global recognition and the International Garden of the Year in 2014
- The team at Hamilton Gardens are experts, and have consistently created outstanding gardens. We know they can deliver
The Garden projects
- Tudor Garden (opened in January 2015)
- New destination playground (opened in December 2016)
- Concept Garden
- Surrealist Garden
- Mansfield Garden
- Picturesque Garden
- A new river jetty below the Italian Renaissance Garden
- Information Centre expansion
- Carpark extension (completed)
Professor Richard Benfield / Central State
University / World authority on garden tourism