Our Animal Education and Control Team is very focused on educating people about dogs and dog behaviour. Each year the we investigate numerous dog attacks - but many of these types of attacks can be preventable.
That's why we offer a variety of free educational services. Our aim is not to be the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, but to prevent dog attacks through education.
As well as taking advantage of our education services, we provide a wealth of information online about dogs, responsible dog ownership, caring for your dog, safety around dogs and dog registration.
We also hold regular dog-related events so our community can learn about dogs and safety around dogs in a fun environment - for example, our Paws in the Pool event.
Our dog education services
- One-on-one education with dog owners having problems with their dogs.
- One-on-one education with people recovering from a dog bite incident.
- Corporate education for businesses that have to encounter dogs as part of their job.
- Visiting schools, daycare centres and kindergartens to talk about keeping safe around dogs.
- Contributing to and supporting dog obedience clubs by sharing our knowledge with them.
- Delivering community education programmes at community centres.
- Being involved with the 'Dogs 101' education programme at the University of Waikato.
- Teaching people how to prevent dog bites.
- Behavioural assessments for dogs.
If you are interested in one of the educational services we provide, contact our Animal Education and Control Team to discuss what you need and/or to make a booking.
Below - a typical education presentation for kindergarten children