- Contact your energy supplier with any concerns you have about how their energy is generated. If you have a choice of energy suppliers, choose not only on the basis of cost savings but also on how their energy is generated.
- Ask yourself if you really need electrically powered luxury items now, if it means going without in later years.
- Read, be informed, think critically, act wisely and consume less energy.
- Join environmental groups that are concerned with and working towards positive change on energy issues.
- Contact the Hamilton City Council to discuss energy issues and how they can help.
- Talk with your local MP on energy issues that you feel strongly about and find out the latest government policies on energy.
Biomass (Woody) Power
The issues with fossil fuels
The two major issues associated with the use of fossil fuels are:
- The potential depletion of fossil fuels in the near future.
- Their contribution to global warming and the greenhouse effect when burnt, and while energy is essential for life, there are also pollution problems associated with burning fossil fuels and biomass. Power stations and other industries that burn fossil fuels release carbon dioxide (CO2 ) and nitrous oxide (N2O).