Liquor Licensing

Liquor licensing law in New Zealand is set by the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.The object of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act is that the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol should be undertaken safely and responsibly and the harm caused by the excessive or inappropriate consumption of alcohol should be minimised.

Application forms can be found here.


Liquor licences

Before you sell or supply alcohol to the public, you must have a licence. There are four types of licence:

  • On-licence
  • Off-licence
  • Club licence
  • Special licence

The Hamilton District Licensing Committee also issues:

  • Manager's certificate
  • Temporary authority

You can read more about the different types of licence and find out which licence is appropriate for you here.

A separate application must be submitted for each type of licence, along with a non-refundable fee and requirements for specific additional documentation. Application forms are available to download on the Liquor Licence Forms page.


Rugby World Cup 2015 Special Licences

These guidelines have been put together to assist licensees who currently hold an on-licence or club licence and are considering applying for a special licence for the Rugby World Cup 2015.


Page reviewed: 04 Jun 2015 3:24pm