What kind of personal information we collect
When we collect your information
- We may collect personal information about you when you, or someone authorised to act on your behalf, provides information to us directly. For example, when you:
- apply for employment with us;
- correspond with us, whether in person, by letter, phone, text, email, instant messages or other means of electronic communication, including in relation to any payment you make to us;
- complete and submit forms we provide for applications for consents, licences, approvals, permits, funding or other authorisations;
- use of any of our services or facilities, including signing up for and using our online services and apps, such as our online payment services;
- submit a written submission, request or other feedback in relation to applications for consents, licences, approvals, permits, funding or other authorisations, or in relation to any form of draft or proposed plan, policy, bylaw or other document;
- subscribe to any of our newsletter or update services; or
- follow or post comments in response to our social media or other facilities such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- We may keep a record of any information that you acquire from us.
- We may monitor and record phone calls made to or by us for quality control or staff training purposes. If a call you make to us, or that we may make to you, is to be monitored and recorded, you will be informed of this at the time of the call.
- We may collect personal information about you from other organisations or persons, such as:
- Our related organisations including Council Controlled Organisations
- Our suppliers which include organisations such as:
- Government organisations such as Land Information New Zealand and the New Zealand Police;
- Our website hosting or internet service providers;
- Consultation providers (e.g. for surveys)
- Credit reporting agencies,
and other organisations and persons where you have expressly authorised them to provide us with information.
• When you visit one of our websites, we may use technology solutions such as “cookies” to provide you with better access to tailored information and services on the websites and to better serve you when you return to them. Our internet servers may also make a record of your visit and log information for statistical purposes. This information is only analysed on a bulk basis for broad demographic content. Individual use is not analysed.
Live streaming of Council meetings and photo/video footage at civic events
How we use your information
- To provide you with services or facilities - including those you have requested and those our Council Controlled Organisations provide to you.
- To positively confirm your identity. This is to avoid inappropriate release or use of your information.
- To respond to correspondence or to provide you with information or services that you have requested, including in relation to any submission you have made to us.
- To process your application for any consent, licence, approval, permit or other authorisation for which you have applied.
- To process your application to use or to register for any of our services or facilities, including our online services.
- To manage your membership or use of any of our services or facilities.
- To process payments received, or made, by us.
- To respond to your requests, enquiries or feedback, or for customer care related activities; including communicating to other persons you have authorised us to deal with on your behalf.
- To seek your feedback on our services or facilities you have used. This will help us better understand who is using our services and facilities and how these can be improved. You can contact us if you don’t want to be included in these types of surveys.
- To provide you with information about our events, news, services or facilities, or the events, news, services or facilities of our Council Controlled Organisations, that we consider may be of interest to you.
- To comply with relevant laws and regulations, including the storage of information on public registers (e.g. Rating Information Database). You may have the right to request that your information is not disclosed on a public register – please contact us to enquire.
- To carry out activities connected with the running of our business or operations such as personnel training, testing and maintenance of computer and other systems or processes, or ensuring the information we hold about you is consistent across the organisation.
- For any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected.
- For general administrative and business purposes.
Sharing your information
- Any person or organisation we use to provide products or services to you on our behalf, where your personal information is necessary for the provision of those products or services.
- Our agents, service providers (including website hosting providers) and any other third parties to the extent this is necessary to make our services and facilities available to you, or in connection with any of the purposes set out in this statement. We will only provide such third parties the relevant information required for the provision of the services, and the third parties are prohibited from using such personal information for any other purpose.
- Council Controlled Organisations, in order to assist with the functions and services that they provide.
- A third party if we are required to do so under any legislation, or in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations. This may include:
- sharing footage from our CCTV or other surveillance cameras with the New Zealand Police or other public-sector agencies where criminal activity is reported or is the subject of an investigation or court proceedings;
- governmental organisations, such as Inland Revenue Department or Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment; or
- a debt collector agency to recover overdue materials or charges.
- Any person to whom you authorise us to disclose your personal information.
- Any person, if that information is publicly available. For example, information held on property files or our Rating Information Database, or livestream footage of Council and Committee meetings.
- Elected members and the public when you make a submission or petition to the Council. Submissions may be made available in full (including the submitter’s name and demographic information) on our website and at our main office.
What if you do not provide us with the personal information requested?
Keeping your information secure and accurate
- protected against loss, damage, misuse and unauthorised access. We restrict access to personal information to those individuals who need access to this information in order to assist us in performing our duties and obligations. Third party access to our systems and data is restricted to approved contractors only, and is reviewed through our internal and external audit programmes.
- accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading.
How long we hold personal information
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Who you can contact for further information
If you have any queries about this Privacy Statement or personal data we have collected, please contact:
Hamilton City Council Privacy Officer
Postal Address: Private Bag 3010, Hamilton, 3240, New Zealand