Coming soon – an upgraded playground and skatepark for Nawton, opening in time for summer 2020. The playground closed in late July for construction.
In June we asked for community feedback on changes to the Elliot Park playground and skatepark. We received some great feedback and this has been incorporated into the final design.
Key aspects of the upgrade are a refurbishment of the existing skatepark with several new features added. Play equipment, safety surfaces and park furniture will be renewed, and we'll be installing a half basketball court and extra shade.
SkateparkWe had good feedback on the draft design from the skate community and we made these changes:
- A revised design to the basketball court end bank and quarter feature. This was to incorporate a transition hip and a revised sub box to the top of the bank.
- A reduced roadside quarter feature to allow more line of sight into the park and reduce the number of the quarter pipes in the park.
- An addition of a split level base to the front quarter feature to allow for a beginner two-stair set and rail, along with a replica fire hydrant added to the hip.
- A wheelchair ramp and rail feature added in place of the wedge gap and ledge feature.
- The existing park features will remain unchanged apart from the euro gap improvement, brick bank works and a surface grind to improve the roll speed on the park.