What is the Ring Road?
We are committed to embracing growth. Part of this includes making sure we have infrastructure that meets our current demands, supports growth and helps build a strong economy for Hamiltonians.
The final connection of the Hamilton Ring Road, the extension of Wairere Dr between Cambridge Rd and Cobham Dr, will improve Hamilton's liveability through delivering an excellent transport network. Work will also include extensions of shared walking and biking paths for people to enjoy. When completed, Cobham Dr will be raised to allow the four-laned Wairere Dr to pass underneath it and enable connection to the future bridge over the Waikato River to Peacocke.
The total project cost to build the final section of the Ring Road is $45M, of which 75% is contributed by government through Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency subsidies.
This transformational project is being constructed by Fulton Hogan on behalf of the Council.
Completion anticipated early 2022.
What's happening now?
The next phase of work happening on the Ring Road includes major road layout changes which will see the current four-lane Cobham Dr (between Howell Ave and Galloway St) reduced to three lanes (2+1).
There will be two lanes for Hamilton-bound vehicles and one lane for south-bound vehicles.
This change is expected to be in place for nine months.
The new road layout will be in place 24/7. There is a speed reduction to 50km/h through the area – down from the current 80km/h.
People on bikes and pedestrians will need to use Hungerford Cres or Cambridge Rd. Pedestrians and cyclists can also use the Sillary St underpass which safely connects Hamilton East (Grey St) to the Hamilton Gardens.
People are advised to plan ahead and allow extra time for their journey.
- This new road layout will be in place for approximately nine months.
- These changes will be in place 24/7.
- There will be two lanes for Hamilton-bound vehicles and one lane for south-bound.
- There will be reduced speeds of 50 km/h through the area – down from the current 80km/h.
- People on bikes and pedestrians will need to use Hungerford Cres or Cambridge Rd.
- Pedestrians and cyclists can also use the Sillary St underpass which safely connects Hamilton East (Grey St) to the Hamilton Gardens.
- Access for residents and businesses will be maintained – including Hamilton Gardens.
- There will be no change to bus services.