We offer two types of event sponsorship:
- Community event fund- for funding up to $5,000; and
- Major Event sponsorship – for funding from $5,000.
Community event fund
The Council supports Community Events through the annual Community Event fund. Visit the page to find out more and contact email@example.com if you have any enquiries.
Major Event Sponsorship – for funding from $5,000
Hamilton City Council has a goal to promote the city through the support of events in Hamilton and has a priority to focus on events and business tourism. The goal is best described as the promotion of Hamilton as a business and event visitor destination of note.
Hamilton's Major Event Sponsorship fund is designed to provide support to organisations delivering events in line with Hamilton's objectives. The application of the Event Sponsorship fund will focus on larger event opportunities where exposure will reach well beyond Hamilton delivering high profile coverage and where it will attract significant numbers of visitors.
Hamilton receives many requests for sponsorship therefore allocation of funds is highly contestable. The money is a sponsorship and not a grant. Hamilton is to be treated as any commercial sponsor would in terms of recognition and benefits and this is negotiated on an individual basis with approved applicants. Sponsorship funding will be allocated to support the effective organisation and marketing of events, and is not intended to fund operating shortfalls.
Application funding and deadlines - 2019/20
Applications for Council's Major Events Sponsorship funding round for 2019/20 financial year closed on 31 May 2019.
In June 2019, 17 applications for event funding in the 2019/20 financial year were considered by Hamilton City Council's Community Services and Environment Committee with 14 events approved to received funding totalling $392,500.
Please be aware the Committee can receive applications outside of the round but event organisers should be aware the fund is highly contestable.
If you have any queries please contact
Applicants interested in applying for funding need to ensure their events help to achieve these objectives and meet the criteria of Council's Event Sponsorship Policy:
- To ensure best value from Council's investments and that a fair and transparent process is used in the allocation of event sponsorship funds.
- To develop new long term business opportunities for Hamilton Businesses.
- Establish event tourism strategies and new community opportunities as a result
Showing you meet the criteria
You'll need to successfully show us that your event will result in at least one of the benefits listed under the criteria:
- Exposure and promotion for the city
The event lifts the status, awareness or profile of Hamilton through the media exposure it receives (international/national & local). It helps position Hamilton as New Zealand's premier events destination and provides proof of Hamilton's positioning as a go-ahead, modern, achieving and well-balanced city.
- Economic benefits for the city
The event increases the number of people who would normally come into the city at that time thereby providing potential benefit to local businesses. Events that bring in new money and result in people staying in Hamilton are more desirable. Supports events that bring visitors to Hamilton.
- Promote pride and sense of place for Hamilton residents
The event gives local residents and those living outside Hamilton, additional entertainment choice and recreational opportunities as well as creating a more vibrant and interesting local lifestyle.
All application assessments will be considered both collectively (with other applications) and independently upon their respective merit in order to ensure a balanced portfolio of event categories (types) and year round weighting. There will be three primary categories considered.
- Emerging events that are new and warrant a kick-start sponsorship investment as they are seen to have significant long term growth potential for the city.
- Cornerstone long standing events that have proven performance in delivering high profile for Hamilton; add to the city's value proposition and where Council's ongoing sponsorship support will drive incremental visitation and expansion opportunity.
- Significant one-off events that present an opportunity to deliver substantial benefits to Hamilton by way of profile, increased visitation and new business opportunities (economic outcome).
The principal criteria and guidance for sponsorship assessment include:
- Aligned with the Hamilton City vision, profile, and broader strategies;
- Quantified/proven exposure benefits and distinctiveness for Hamilton nationally (and internationally) and across business at large;
- Evidence of target audience/attendance at regional / national / international levels;
- Generation of overnight visitation to the city;
- Significant number of anticipated participants and future growth potential;
- Utilisation of city facilities and assets;
- Strong leverage opportunities and community support;
- Existing interests and relationships that may give rise to a potential conflict of interest;
How to apply
The application will be assessed on the event concept, quality of information provided and its potential to satisfy Hamilton's objectives and meet the criteria of Council's Event Sponsorship Policy .
Applications for funding for events taking place in 2020/21 will be considered in April/May 2020.
If you have any queries please contact