The Hamilton City Council Tagbusters Team consists of four fulltime Graffiti Removal Technicians, an Office Administrator and a Team Leader.
The first priority of the Graffiti Technicians is to remove tagging from Council assets and every day they carry out a 'milk-run' of a scheduled list of Council property and parks. Following that, they travel to jobs reported through the 0800 TAGBUSTERS number (0800 824 287) or through our dedicated reporting email.
0800 TAGBUSTERS is Council's free-calling number for the public to report graffiti, 24/7.
Tagging is images or lettering which are painted, drawn, scrawled or scratched - or any form of marking on property that does not belong to the person carrying out this activity.
- Most tagging is caused by spray paint cans or feltpens
- One spray can, can cause over $7000 worth of damage
- One spray can is good for 500 'hits' (tags)
- 95% of tagging offenders are under the age of 17
- Hamilton City Council currently spends approximately $700,000 dollars per year on graffiti eradication.
0800 TAGBUSTERS - Council's tagging report hotline
Avoid being a target
- Paint your fences and walls in dark colours that will cover in one coat: Unpainted fences are a great target for taggers.
- Plant small trees or shrubs along fence lines to minimise surfaces that can be vandalised.
- Remove tagging as soon as it appears, preferrably within 24 hours: By taking action quickly and removing the tagging, offenders are discouraged if you deny them exposure they are seeking.
- Keep a small quantity of the paint used to paint your fence or walls: In the event that you are tagged, you can quickly remove the tagging with the paint you have saved.
- Join a Neighbourhood Support Group: Contact your local community constable who can assist you in contacting your nearest group. Call the Hamilton Police on 07 858 6200 for the community constable in your area.
Report it, remove it
- Physical description of the offender
- Description of the tagging ( such as paint, words, colour, etc )
- Record vehicle number plates and descriptions
- Take photographs that clearly show the tagging