The City Safe Operations Team work together to ensure that Hamilton is a safe and vibrant City. The Team work in the Central City, The Transport Centre and suburban retail areas. They are recognisable by their highly visual uniforms which provide a natural deterrent to anti social and criminal activity. Camera Operators work diligently to spot issues within the Central City and ensure that City Safe Patrols, Police or Ambulance are dispatched when issues escalate. The Camera Operators are in direct contact with the Police and provide footage of incidents for evidence when required.
Working closely with youth and other members of the public who use the Transport Centre is a large part of the City Safe Operations job. The Team ensures that anyone travelling by bus and using the Transport Centre feels safe.
- Hamilton City Council Safety Officers:
- encourage positive compliance through the use of a graduated response model
- are fully warranted to enforce the new city bylaws
- patrol the city between 7am-8pm Monday to Friday
- City Safe Ambassadors patrol suburban areas
- CCTV Network - due to privacy regulations, CCTV camera footage is unable to be shared with the general public. All requests for footage must come through the police, a judge or solicitor and must relate to a specific incident. Footage is stored for a minimum of five days and up to 14 days.