What does this mean for hospitality?

​​​​​​​​​​​​The wellbeing of our community and our team ​are our number one priority. We are closely monitoring the advice from the Government and Ministry of Health and will be updating our website as new information becomes available. ​​

Alert Level 3

What does this mean for food businesses and alcohol licensing?

For all advice and guidelines relating to food businesses under Alert Level 3, please refer to the Ministry for Primary Industries website.

You can also contact Hospitality NZ, the Restaurant Association or Clubs NZ, if you are a member. 

Will restaurants, bars and cafes be open?

Restaurants, bars and cafes cannot open their premises to customers at Alert Levels 3 and 4. At Alert Level 3, they can sell prepared food and non-alcoholic beverages by contactless delivery and collection (including drive-through).

What happens if there is an environmental and health issue? Where do I report this?
Please ring Hamilton City Council Customer Services on 07 838 6699 if you are aware of any environmental and/or health issue. 

Page reviewed: 03 Oct 2021 2:14pm