The wellbeing of our community and our team are our number one priority. We are closely monitoring the advice from the Government and Ministry of Health and will be updating our website as new information becomes available.
How has the Council been managing these services up until now?
During Alert Levels 4 and 3, the Council had to make several changes to these services to keep our staff and the community safe. This required us to initially put all recycling (whether kerbside collection or drop-off) on hold under Government guidance. Once Alert Level 2 was announced, Council staff helped our receiving facilities to work through what they needed to put in place so they could safely start collecting kerbside recycling again. The FAQs will tell you all you need to know about how these services are operating now under Alert Level 2.
What's happening with Alert Level 2 kerbside collections?
How do I ensure my rubbish and recycling will be collected?
Can I still purchase a new recycling crate?
Yes. New crates are available for purchase from the Council's Municipal Building in Garden Place, Hamilton.
What about drop-off services under Alert Level 2?
- Hamilton Organic Centre, Wickham St – you can drop off your green waste and your recyclable glass, cans, tins and plastics 1-2 here – but not non-recyclable rubbish or paper and cardboard.
- Lincoln St Refuse Transfer Station – you can drop off non-recyclable rubbish here, but not recyclable items or paper and cardboard. The reuse shop at the transfer station will remain closed for now.
What do I need to know before I drop off items?
- The traffic flow at the Lincoln St Refuse Transfer Station is now left turn only, entry and exit. Traffic flow for the Hamilton Organic Centre in Wickham St is unchanged.
- To keep everyone safe at both facilities, only one person will be permitted to exit each vehicle, and a strict 'one-in one-out' policy will be in place at both facilities.
- If you can, please avoid visiting either of these facilities during peak times – especially when they open and between 10am and 12pm. Instead, please return at an alternative time if long queues are forming.
- Contractors at both facilities will log vehicle registration plate numbers and time on-site for COVID-19 contact tracing purposes.
- There will be no assistance from staff at either facility when dropping off your items, due to the social distancing two-metre requirement. Please be patient and considerate of staff and other customers during this transitional period.
- Only contactless payments are permitted at each facility – cash payments will not be accepted.
For more information please email email@example.com or call our customer services team on 07 838 6699.
You can also keep up with what's happening with Hamilton City Council's rubbish and recycling services at fightthelandfill.co.nz