My Vaccine Passes at council facilities

Why has the My Vaccine Pass been made a condition of entry?

New Zealand is transitioning to the next stage of its Covid-19 response, which involves learning to live with the virus in the community, while minimising the spread through safety measures and high vaccination rates.

The safety of our community is our priority, and by requiring My Vaccine Passes at most of our facilities we can continue services and activities across the city, while protecting the most at-risk and vulnerable of our community.

This decision was made by Elected Members at an Extraordinary Council meeting on 30 November 2021.

Where is the My Vaccine Pass a condition of entry?

The My Vaccine Pass will become a condition of entry for people over 12 years and three months old if they are visiting the following public facilities:

  • Hamilton City Libraries
  • H3 facilities including Claudelands Events Centre, FMG Stadium and Seddon Park
  • Hamilton Pools
  • Hamilton Zoo
  • Waikato Museum, ArtsPost and i-SITE
  • Hamilton Park Cemetery chapels and offices 
  • Te Rapa Sportsdrome
  • Enderley Community Centre
  • Information Centre, café, and enclosed gardens at Hamilton Gardens
  • Customer Service Centre
  • Council Chambers in the Municipal Building.

This change would come into effect at Hamilton Pools on 3 December and other facilities from 14 December.

Can I get an exemption?

Everyone who enters our facilities including staff and visitors, must be fully vaccinated. The only exception will be for those who hold valid vaccination exemption for medical reasons – the Government has stated there will be an exemption process to get certification for the small number of people who are unable to get a vaccination for medical reasons.

Can I produce a negative test instead?

No, a negative test is not an accepted alternative to a My Vaccine Pass. Vaccinations are widely accepted the best way to keep our community safe and protected from Covid-19.

I'm vaccinated but I left my pass at home, can I still come in?

We require official proof that you are fully vaccinated before entering public facilities, so unfortunately you cannot come in without a valid My Vaccine Pass. Please have your official My Vaccine Pass ready to scan or show a staff member before entering our facilities.

What if I don't have a smart phone or the app I need for the My Vaccine Pass?

You can print the My Vaccine Pass and bring this with you instead.

Will I get any refund on my rates?

Rates paid for facilities are fixed charges based on calculations for expenditure throughout the year. These rates are not targeted, and everyone pays the same rates for these services regardless if they want to use these or not.

Does it have to be a My Vaccine Pass, or can I show another proof of my vaccination?

Yes, you must show the My Vaccine Pass as proof of vaccination. The government has developed this as the most accurate way of proving vaccination records. For this reason, we will only be accepting the My Vaccine Pass as proof of vaccination. If you are vaccinated but do not have the pass yet, we have friendly staff at our facilities with instructions on-hand, who can help get you set up. 

I don't believe in the vaccinations, why can't I come in?

Hamilton City Council has made the My Vaccine Pass a condition of entry at most of its public facilities, aligning with the government's new Covid-19 Protection Framework.

By doing so, we can continue providing our everyday services and activities to the community while keeping our community safe.  

This change means we require everyone who enters our venues to be fully vaccinated, with the exception of children under 12 years and three months old and those who are unable to be vaccinated due to medical reasons and qualify for a pass via the official exemption process.

So, how can I access these services if I don't want to get vaccinated?

Some of our facilities will be more difficult to access if you are unvaccinated. However, you can use many of our services – such as paying rates and borrowing items from libraries – without stepping inside a facility. We will continue to streamline these processes to make them easier for people to use if they are unable to visit in person.

We understand this may feel frustrating and we will be exploring new and innovative ways to make more optional services – such as our Waikato Museum exhibitions – available virtually.

Do children have to be vaccinated to visit facilities?

No, children under 12 years and three months old do not have to be vaccinated to enter public facilities.

Do I have to be vaccinated to visit parks?

No, you do not have to be vaccinated to enjoy our parks and open spaces. We ask that you keep one-metres' distance from people you don't know and wear a mask in crowded places. If you are unwell, stay home and get tested.

What about playgrounds?

No, you do not have to be vaccinated to enjoy our playgrounds. Children under 12 years and three months old do not have to be vaccinated to go anywhere.

I have paid for a voucher or membership at your facilities that I can no longer use because I am unvaccinated. Can I get a refund? 

We're here to help. Call our staff (you can call the specific facility or the Customer Service Centre on 07 8386699) and they will discuss your options with you.

I'm vaccinated but don't know how to get My Vaccine Pass, what can I do?

There are three ways to get your My Vaccine Pass — online through My Covid Record, over the phone, and in person at a pharmacy. You can find out more about how to get it here.

We will also have help available at some of our facilities from 3 December onwards, such as our libraries. If you need help setting up your My Vaccine Pass, pop into the one of the facilities below with your device and our friendly Council staff will step you through the process.

Facilities with help available:

  • All six library branches
  • Customer Service Centre at the Municipal Building
  • Waterworld
  • Hamilton Gardens
  • Gallaghers Aquatic
  • Waikato Museum 
Page reviewed: 13 Dec 2021 6:30am