Candidates standing for election to the Council must understand and be aware of the status of their social media presence for campaigning purposes at all times. The following requirements apply:
- The Council's social media channels are not to be used by anyone (candidate or member of the public) for any campaigning purposes or electioneering. This applies to any channel owned by, or affiliated to, the Council (including facilities, partner projects etc.).
- The Council's social media channels are apolitical during the pre-election period, i.e until election day and they will be closely scrutinised to ensure this is the case.
- The Council will continue to promote general local government election material including enrolment, dates, times and voting reminders.
- Candidate social media profiles identifying the candidate as a person seeking election cannot post to any Council social media channel (for example 'John Doe – Candidate for Hamilton East'). Posts by candidates in a private capacity (for example 'John Doe') cannot post to Council social media channels for the purposes of campaigning or electioneering on their own or any other person's behalf.
- Any post, made by an individual relating to their own or someone else's nomination or intention to run for Council or election campaign will be removed immediately.
- The Council's social media pages will not 'like' any candidate pages. Candidates cannot rate, review, check-in or tag the Council's social media channels in posts or comments.
- The Council's social media channels are actively monitored and content breaching the requirements will be removed at the discretion of the Chief Executive, Governance Manager or the Communication and Engagement Unit. No correspondence will be entered into regarding posts removed.
- The Council's social media channels are:
Please note we update this list, as needed, to include new pages and channels.
Facebook – Hamilton City Council, Hamilton Pools, FMG Stadium Waikato, Waikato Museum, Arts Post, Claudelands, Hamilton Zoo, Hamilton City Libraries, Hamilton NZ, Hamilton Adopt a Dog, National Contemporary Art Award, HLive NZ
Twitter – Hamilton City Council, Hamilton NZ, Hamilton City Libraries, Waikato Museum, Hamilton Zoo
Instagram – Hamilton Gardens, HLive NZ
YouTube – Hamilton City Council, Hamilton Zoo
Neighbourly – Hamilton City Council.