Information for Candidates
We need capable and motivated people to help shape Hamilton's future and make important decisions about how the city will operate. People who are connected to Hamilton's diverse communities and who want to know what issues and opportunities matter to those communities. People who want to make great things happen for Hamilton and Hamiltonians now and into the future.
If you feel you have the skills, experience and ideas to contribute to your city; do it – stand for Council!
To find out more, check out the following resources:
Elected Member Positions
Current representation arrangements require elections for the following positions:
- Mayor (elected 'at large' across the city)
- Councillors (12)
- East Ward (6)
- West Ward (6)
Nominations for the Elected Member positions will open on Friday 19 July 2019 and close at noon, Friday 16 August 2019.
Nomination papers will be available during this period:
- from the Elections Office, Municipal Building, Garden Place, Hamilton;
- by accessing www.hamilton.govt.nz/elections;
- by telephoning 0800 922 822.
To be eligible to stand for election, a candidate must be:
- a New Zealand citizen (by birth or naturalisation ceremony); and
- enrolled as a Parliamentary elector (anywhere in New Zealand); and
- nominated by two electors whose names appear on the electoral roll within the respective area that a candidate is standing for.
There are some strict rules around election signs including size and placement. You can find more information here.
Candidates standing for Council must understand and be aware of their social media presence for campaigning purposes at all times. You can find more information on this here.
Campaign Spend Limit
There are limits to how much you spend on a campaign in both the East and West wards and for those standing for Mayor. Further information on this can be found in the Candidate Booklet.
If you're considering standing for election, it would pay to get familiar with these plans and reports:
Dale Ofsoske, Election Services
PO Box 5135, Wesley Street
09 973 5212
Deputy Electoral Officer
07 838 6439
07 838 6439