Hamilton has a strong arts and culture scene with multiple organisations having a long history of contribution.
The city is committed to the proposed new building to replace the much loved Founders Theatre which occupied a unique position in the performing arts ecosystem in the Waikato. The new theatre will accommodate the full range of music, theatrical, operatic, cultural and town hall-style events that are expected in a major New Zealand city.
Why is this project important?
- Hamilton needs an iconic, premier, performing arts theatre that services the Waikato
- There is overwhelming community support for a new theatre that contributes to activity in the central city
- It will give a strong identity to arts and culture
- It will enable the city to deliver the outcomes of the City Arts Agenda 'Hamilton offers premier art venues and creative spaces'.
The project plan
- It is a partnership project between Momentum Waikato Community Foundation and Hamilton City Council
- Momentum Waikato Community Foundation will convene generous donors and provide project management to deliver the project by 2020
- Hamilton City Council's commitment is capped at $30mil and the balance of $25mil will be convened by Momentum Waikato Community Foundation
- Hamilton City Council will be seeking funding contribution from local and central government.