The most modern and motor vehicle-dependent cities around the world are experiencing a biking revolution. Bikes are a cheap, healthy and environmentally friendly option for transport and recreation.
Hamilton’s Biking Plan will contribute to a more attractive and liveable city for families.
Our 30 year Biking Plan will make biking safe, convenient and visible; encouraging more people to bike more
often in Hamilton.
Why is this project important?
- A strong bike culture makes for a healthier, more active population
- A connected off road bike network is safe and makes biking accessible for everyone
- Hamilton’s flat environment gives us a natural advantage in becoming a bike- friendly city
- Connecting to the Te Awa River Ride provides a great opportunity to grow Hamilton’s visitor reputation
The Biking Plan projects
- Western Rail Trail (due to be completed in December 2016)
- Te Awa River Ride South
- Hukanui/Peachgrove Road School link
- Minogue Park Bridge
- University route
- Wairere Drive between The Base and Wintec
- Te Awa River Ride - widen Hamilton river path
- Resolution Drive link to Waikato Expressway
- State Highway 3 cycleway
- A network of biking facilities on bike routes including drinking fountains, seats and bike parking