Hamilton is a city for families and as Hamilton’s population grows, so will our population of young people. It becomes even more important for our children to have a safe, green space to play – one that is fun and challenging.
The city currently has seven destination playgrounds at Hamilton Lake Domain, Parana Park, Claudelands Park, Tauhara Park, Minogue Park, Dominion Park and Hamilton Gardens.
We plan to have 15 destination playgrounds across Hamilton by 2030. No other city in New Zealand will have this.
Destination playgrounds are different traditional playgrounds. With creative and sustainable equipment, they are designed to be fun and challenging.
We will provide toilets, shade, seating and water fountains so families can play all day.
Why is this project important?
- Our communities have asked for playgrounds that are safe attractive with facilities that provide a day-out experience for the family
- As a growth city, Hamilton's higher density living is increasing and needs to be complemented by accessible family-friendly green spaces
- Hamilton's destination playgrounds will be unique in New Zealand and promote Hamilton's reputation as a family city
- Destination playgrounds are community spaces that encourage more activity and neighbourhood engagement.
- Dominion Park (opened in November 2016)
- Hamilton Gardens (opened in December 2016)
- Flagstaff North
- Hillcrest Park
- Glenview Park
- Bremworth Park
- Te Manatu Park
- Porritt Stadium
- Ashurst Park
- Moonlight Drive Reserve
Megan Smith, Paeroa