All over the world local authorities are seeking to develop their cities into ‘smart cities’. Hamilton City Council is going a step further and is working to build a ‘smart society’ within our city and across the region.
Talking about being smart doesn’t mean we’re not already doing smart things – we’re doing some really smart things! It shows our intent to continually look at how we can work smarter - no matter how well we’re doing.
In a nutshell, ‘smart’ for us is about thinking differently and working better for the community. It’s challenging the status quo and encouraging innovation that generates positive change.
Smart societies make the most of innovation, technology, and partnerships to serve their community. They are built with the community to:
- improve the liveability and experience of a city or place
- increase the availability of good data for decision-making
- optimise resources
- creatively solve collective challenges.
In traditional smart city development, technology has a central role. However, building a smart society is not just about technology and digital devices, it’s also about better interactions with our community, collaboration and any innovation (digital or non-digital) that can improve the experience of a place and the services people use.
Our approach to becoming a smart society begins with fostering a ‘smart mindset’ and supporting innovation. A smart mindset is a way of thinking and working that we intend to demonstrate in everything we do. For us, a smart mindset is shown through:
- connectivity between people, technologies, shared information and breaking down silos
- freedom to dream, think differently, be less risk-averse, try new ideas and actively innovate
- maximising opportunities for collaboration and innovation to ensure projects and services are realising their full potential and impact
- citizen-led problem definition and prioritisation, solution development and testing.
Smart Hamilton is about encouraging this mindset and supporting innovation that improves the wellbeing of the community, enables better decision-making and responds effectively to our greatest challenges.
The possibilities of building a smart society are endless and we’re excited to take this journey with you. We’re always happy to hear of new innovations and potential opportunities to partner on smart projects. So, what are you waiting for?