Key features of the 2012 Act
- increasing the ability of communities to have a say on local alcohol licensing matters
- allowing local-level decision-making for all licence applications
- requiring the express consent of a parent or guardian before supplying alcohol to a minor
- requiring anyone who supplies alcohol to under 18-year-olds to do so responsibly
- strengthening the rules around the types of stores eligible to sell alcohol
- introducing maximum default trading hours for licensed premises
- restricting supermarket and grocery store alcohol displays to a single area.
Full information and fact sheets highlighting the changes created by the 2012 Act can be found at the Ministry of Justice website. You can also read the 2012 Act in full on the NZ Legislation website.
Other regulations and legislation
For information about other regulatory requirements and legislation related to alcohol - see 'related links' (top right) and alcohol bans.
Hamilton DLC and decision-making
Learn more about our Hamilton District Licensing Committee (DLC) and how they make their decisions under the Act and the Policy.