Does my dog need to be microchipped?
- Dogs registered for the first time after 1 July 2006 need to be microchipped within two months of first being registered.
- Any dog impounded on a second occasion must be microchipped before its release.
- Any unregistered dog that has been impounded must be microchipped before its release.
- Dogs classified as dangerous or menacing must be microchipped. This includes:
- those dogs that had been classified after 1 December 2003 but before 1 July 2006 - these dogs should have had a microchip implanted before 1 September 2006
- those dogs classified from 1 July 2006 onwards - these dogs must be microchipped within two months of being classified.
Where can I have my dog microchipped?
Dog registration and Dogs Online
Page reviewed: 16 Oct 2019 4:20pm