Owning more than two dogs
Can I own more than two dogs?
- Dog owner complaint history shall be looked into, and if any substantiated complaints have been received, the permit may be declined.
- Any permit issued shall not be transferable in respect to location or breed of dogs.
- A person to whom a permit is issued, shall produce the permit for inspection at the request of any authorised Council officer at any time.
- The fences must be able to contain and retain all dogs on the property. In addition to this, there must be unrestricted access to at least one door at the dwelling, so that no person is likely to be endangered, threatened or inconvenienced by the keeping of more than two dogs.
- The applicant must have written consent from all surrounding boundary neighbours. This is to be renewed annually.
- Every bitch in season on the premises must be confined within a dog-proof enclosure on the premises for the duration of her oestrus cycle. The bitch shall be regularly exercised under control during this period of confinement.
- All dogs on the property of a greater age than three months MUST be registered for the current year. (Should dogs not be registered, or any new unregistered dogs found on the property – your application will be declined or your permit may be revoked.)
- The permit must comply with all relevant legislation.
- Sufficient and proper housing shall exist for all of the dogs on the property and the conditions the dogs are kept in must comply with the minimum codes of welfare for dogs.
- All dogs droppings are to be removed on a regular basis and disposed of in a lawful manner.
- All owners should ensure that the dogs receive proper care and attention and are supplied with proper and sufficient food, water and shelter.
- All deaths, sales or transfers of dogs (including pups born on the property) are to be notified in writing to the Council within 14 days. (Failure to do so may result in an infringement notice being issued and the permit being revoked.)
- The number of dogs MUST not exceed the number permitted as indicated on the permit.
- The permit MUST be renewed annually, on or before the expiry date. Failure to do so will result in the dog owner having to re-apply in full and pay the full application fee.
- The permit can be revoked at any time that there has been non-compliance with any part of the permit application. Any person, who has had the permit revoked, must remove a sufficient of dogs to reduce the number on the property to two or less.
Dog owner responsibilities
Exercising your dog
Find out where you can safely exercise your dog - check out our maps online:
Page reviewed: 09 Jun 2021 8:10am