This page will cover the following:
Category One - Minimum Fee
You are eligible as a dog owner for this category if you have had:
- no substantiated complaint(s), no impounding, no infringement notices, be prosecution and offence free for a 24 month period; and
- you meet your legal requirements to register your dog.
Category Two - Full Fee
If you are not eligible for Category One ownership as outlined above, you will be classified as a Category Two dog owner and you will have to pay the full fee to register your dog/s.
|When you register your dog for the first time, if it is less than three months old after 1 August or imported and has arrived after 1 August, then you pay a pro-rata fee based on how much of the registration year is left. |
|More than three months old after 1 Aug
||No pro-rata fee
In line with the Dog Control Act 1996 dogs who are classified as dangerous must pay 150% of the level that would apply if the dog were not classified as dangerous.
- All dogs must be registered before they turn three months old.
- Dogs should be registered at the address where they spend most of the time.
- If you are under 16 years of age, your dog must be registered under a parent's or guardian's name.
- All dogs must wear a colour-coded registration tag to show it has been registered for that year.
- Dogs registered for the first time after 1 July 2006 need to be microchipped within two months of first being registered. Find out more about microchipping.
- If you want to own more than two dogs, there are special conditions. Find out more here.