The Building Control Unit ('BCU') is part of Hamilton City Council. Your privacy is important to us. "We", "our" or "us" means Hamilton City Council in the statement below.
What information we collect
We collect the personal information you provide in connection with our online services; or use of applications or services we provide as part of our online services; or that is provided to us through our customer service representatives. This includes your name, contact details and date of birth. We may collect other personal information in any correspondence we have with you.
How we will use your information
We use your personal information:
- to process and respond to your application, feedback, or other communications submitted by, or to, you in relation to our online services;
- to update and aggregate any information that we currently hold about you in our existing records, databases or systems;
- for any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected or for which we have your consent;
- to assist us with analysing the use of our online services, and to further develop and improve our online services. From time to time, we may contact you to seek your feedback on our services or facilities you have used. This will help us better understand who is using our services and facilities and how these can be improved. You can contact us if you don't want to be included in these types of surveys; or
- for our general administrative, maintenance, audit purposes and any other purposes permitted by, or required to comply with, any applicable law.
Sharing your information
Besides our staff, we may disclose your personal information:
- to any of our service providers and business partners (including our provider that hosts our online services), where your personal information helps us provide our services to you or fulfil any requests you make. Our service providers and business partners must keep your personal information confidential;
- where we are permitted or required to do so by law, including, by way of example only, to comply with our obligations under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 or the Building Act 2004. This may include disclosing your information to members of the public or to other agencies (e.g. government departments);
- if we are requested to do so in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations. This may include a debt collection agency to recover overdue charges; or
- with your authorisation.
What if you do not provide us with the personal information requested?
The information we request from you through our online services is required by law under the Building Act 2004 and Building (Forms) Regulations 2004. If you do not provide us with the personal information that we request from you, we may not be able to complete your application, adequately respond to your requests or enquiries, provide the services or facilities you have requested, or process payments on your behalf.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Once you are registered for our online service, you can access and correct your information online.
You can also contact us here, or email us on email@example.com to:
- inquire about, seek access to, and correct personal information we hold about you; or
- if you think that we have breached the Privacy Act.
If you request that the personal information we hold about you on our online services be corrected and we do not agree to your request, you may request that we take reasonable steps to attach to the information a statement of the correction you have sought but we have not made.
Your rights to access, and correct, any personal information we hold about you are subject to the Privacy Act 1993.