Other noise types

Environmental noise monitoring

Hamilton City Council has responsibilities under the Resource Management Act to protect residential areas from the adverse effects of unreasonable noise from industrial, commercial and community & recreational land uses:

  • To prevent adjacent activities within industrial zones from being adversely effected by unreasonable noise

  • Ensure that residential development is protected from the adverse effects of excessive road noise.

  • The Environmental Health Unit conducts monitoring of sites at residential / industrial interface boundaries in order to build up a picture of the ambient noise environment in Hamilton city.

Does the Resource Management Act cover all types of noise?

No. There are other kinds of noise, which are specifically covered or controlled by other pieces of legislation. For example:

  • Barking Dogs are covered by the Dog Control Act 1996. Contact Animal Control Services Ltd at Council on 07 838 6632 for further information.

  • Noisy vehicles on the road are covered by the Traffic Regulations 1976. Contact the Traffic Safety Branch of the NZ Police for further information.

  • Noise within the workplace is covered by the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992. Contact the Occupational Safety and Health Service of the Department of Labour for further information.

  • Noise between tenancies with the same landlord is covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 1996. Contact your landlord or the Tenancy Tribunal.

Page reviewed: 15 Apr 2016 3:32pm