Food Safety

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The laws that cover food safety are the Food Act 2014 and the Food Regulations 2015. The Act commenced on 1 March 2016, when it introduced a 3-year transition period for existing food businesses currently operating under the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 to transition to the new Act.

Under the Act, food businesses are required to be operating under either a food control plan or one of 3 levels of national programmes depending on the food sector that a food business belongs to.

New food businesses

New food businesses are required to operate under the Act from day one. You will need to register a food control plan or a national programme, depending on the food sector your business belongs to. See below for further information and application documentation.​

Getting Started

A very useful tool for setting up a template food control plan or national programme is found on the Ministry for Primary Industries website. It is called My Food Rules​. Use this to set up and print your personalised food control plan or national programme and to produce a completed scope of operations document (which is part of the application documentation).​

​For further assistance please email Hamilton City Council at

Application documentation

If you are a new food business or are an existing​ business transitioning to the Food Act 2014, you need to complete an application form and a scope of operations document and submit these to council.

If you have just one site to register:

If you have more than one site to regi​ster under the on​e application:

Renewal of Registration

Please make sure your registration is renewed prior to the expiry date; by completing the below form and returning them to us (either by post, over the counter at the Municipal  Building or via email to with the renewal fee.​

Page reviewed: 16 Feb 2021 7:46am