Changing Home Ownership

If you are buying or selling a property, it is a legal requirement to inform the Council of any property changes. The ratepayer is the person who is named in the rating information database and the district valuation roll as owning the property. 

This must be the name of the person/s on the certificate of title. Generally, when buying or selling a property, your solicitor will act on your behalf and liaise with the Council to ensure all information is updated.                               


Rates are a charge on a property, not a property owner. That means that any outstanding rates on a property at the time of purchase become the responsibility of the new owner.

When a property is sold, the vendor's solicitor will usually identify any outstanding rates and negotiate the sale accordingly. 

If you receive an invoice for overdue rates from a previous owner, contact the solicitor who represented you in the purchase to resolve the matter with the previous owners. In the meantime, it is in your best interest to settle the account immediately to avoid further penalties. It is recommended when purchasing a property to request a LIM report.

Basic rates information is available to view on the rating information database, located on the ground floor of the Council's Municipal Building ​in Garden Place. 


If you receive an assessment in your name after you've sold the property, it may mean the Council has not received notification. It is a requirement that Council is advised within one month of when a change of ownership occurs. Please advise your solicitor to issue the appropriate notification as soon as possible and return the assessment to the Council.  

If you have been paying your rates by direct debit, the transfer will be cancelled automatically when the Council receives a notification.

Page reviewed: 20 Nov 2019 2:24pm