Rates Rebates FAQs

​​Can I have a rates rebate application posted to me?

Yes, either email the rates team, call us on 07 838 6688 or alternatively a rebate application form can be downloaded from the Department of Internal Affairs website.

Can I have more information about the rates rebates?

The Department of Internal Affairs website provides further explanation around the rates rebate scheme.

Do I get a rebate off my Waikato Regional Council rates?

Although the rebate only gets applied to your Hamilton City Council rates, the calculation takes into account both your Hamilton City and Waikato Regional Council rates.

What do I do once I complete the application form?

Post it back to us at Hamilton City Council, Private Bag 3010, Hamilton 3240. Or drop it into our Council offices at 260 Anglesea Street, Hamilton. ​Or you can scan the form and email it to us at rates@hcc.govt.nz​

Can I just turn up at the Council and have my application dealt with?

Due to the high number of enquiries, rates rebates are dealt with via appointments during the initial stages of the rating year (July to November). Council rebate staff will also be available at some other locations such as libraries and other Council facilities at specified times.  From November to the end of June, appointments are not required.

What if I am unable to make it into an appointment due to a medical condition?

In those cases we can provide a home visit. These are generally carried out around November. Please contact the Customer Services Team on 07 838 6688 to register each year.

My instalment is due before my rebate appointment, what do I need to pay?

If possible, please pay the full amount of the instalment in order to avoid any penalty charges. If this is not possible, please contact our Customer Services Team on 07 838 6688 to discuss further. 

Do I get the rebate paid into my bank account?

No, the purpose of the rates rebate is to assist you with your rates throughout the rating year. A rates rebate reduces each of your four instalments by equal amounts. It may be possible to apply for a refund if your rates go into credit over and above the rating year.

For further detailed information including questions about income and eligibility, please refer to the Department of Internal Affairs common questions and answers.​​​​​​

Page reviewed: 18 Sep 2020 2:29pm