​​​​​The Council's 2018-28 10-Year Plan, adopted in June 2018, includes changes to how we set rates.

You can read more about the 10-Year Plan here​.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Rates are a charge against a property (rating unit) and set by your local and regional councils.

There are a number of factors that influence the amount​ of rates that you'll pay.

  • ​​The use, location of the land, and services provided or available to your property

​The council operate rating categories (differentials) based on these factors. Different categories (for example Residential, Commercial, BID (CBD) Commercial and Other) will incur different rates. ​​

A description of these categories are in the Council's Funding Impact Statement

  • The valuation of your property

City-wide property revaluations are carried out every three years. Rates for 2018/19 (1 July 2018 - 30 June 2019) are set using the 2015 valuations.  In November 2018, updated property valuations were sent to property owners, and these new valuations will be used as the basis for setting rates from 1 July 2019. ​

The Council uses capital value to calculate the general rate and a small number of targeted rates. The transitional rate, set on land value,  is in place to transition the general rates from land to capital value.  

Have your rates invoices emailed to you — c​lick here to see how​ ​​

2018/2019 Rates​

As part of the 2018-28 10-Year Plan the Council has adopted a number of changes to the rating system. Further detailed information regarding the basis of these changes can be found in the Reven​ue and Financing Policy.

After considering the feedback as a result of the 10-Year plan consultation, Council has adopted:

  • A 9.7 per cent average increase for existing ratepayers

Although this is the average increase to existing ratepayers, the increase to individual properties may vary. This is as a result of the transition of the general rate from land value to capital value rating. If your land value makes up a lower proportion of your total capital value, your increase may be greater than 9.7per cent (as you would pay less rates under land value, but more under capital value).

  • The introduction of a Uniform Annual General Charge (UAGC)

Council has introduced a Uniform Annual General Charge which is set on each separately used or inhabited part (SUIP) of a rating unit

A UAGC is a fixed rate, applied on the same basis to all rating units, irrespective of their rating category. 

For 2018/19 the UAGC is $165.​

  • To shorten the transition period of the general rate from a land value basis to capital value basis​.  

The transition of the general rate from land to capital value will be completed in three years. For 2018/19, 47 per cent will be set on land value as a targeted rate, with the remaining 53 per cent set under the combination of the capital value general rate and UAGC.  This means that if your property has a high proportion of its value in buildings, your rates may increase above the 9.7 per cent average. 

  • Changes to the 'Rural' rating category. 

The Rural rating category has been renamed to 'Other' and the rates contribution for this group of ratepayers has increased. The 'Other' category general rate is calculated to be the equivalent of the residential rate with a reduction for standard water and wastewater services not provided. 

  • Changes to our Service Use rates.

Service use rates are applied to those properties classified as non rateable under the rating legislation,  and qualifying community groups. The rates are for water, wastewater and refuse collection where provided. Water and refuse rates are applied as a fixed amount per SUIP, and wastewater is charged using a combination of the property's land and capital values. 

​Rates r​ebates​

Rates rebates are available for residential property owners who live in their property from 1 July, and require assistance in paying their rates. There are qualifying criteria for the rebate, including a maximum total gross household income for the most recent completed tax year. Click here​ for further information regarding rates rebates.

​When are your rates due?

Rates are invoiced in four instalments for the financial year that ​begins 1 July and ends 30 June.
To avoid penalties you must pay your rates in full by the due date.  Your invoice will be posted or emailed around four to five weeks before it is due.   The city is divided into different areas, as below.

​Rates instalment due dates for the 2018/19 rating year

​Area ​Date
1.  East
This represents all properties on the east side of the Waikato river.
30 August 2018
22 November 2018
28 February 2019
23 May 2019
2.  West
This represents all properties on the west side of the Waikato river.
6 September 2018
29 November 2018
7 March 2019
30 May 2019


Page reviewed: 17 Jan 2019 3:39pm