Planned work - January 2019
The resurfacing work programme for January 2019 can be viewed at Delays, Roadworks and Events. We will be resealing 29 roads covering around 14km over January and March.
The sites are selected based on age and condition of street. We generally chipseal every 10-15 years, depending on the wear on the road. Work is done over summer when there is less traffic on the roads, and when sunny and dry weather is more likely.
The chip seal process
- Minor repairs are carried out prior to resealing.
- The contractor will contact residents in the street about a week before work begins, which is done in the day.
- Hot bitumen is sprayed and stone sealing chips are spread and rolled in.
- Traffic is then allowed on the road to bed the new seal.
- Excess sealing chips are swept away and road marking repainted. Temporary traffic management will be removed at this time.
- As many as three additional sweeps may follow in the next six months.
The asphalt surfacing process
- Temporary traffic management is removed.