Traffic Signals and Signs

Traffic signals

Hamilton City Council manages all of the traffic signals in the city, including the ones on the State Highway network which we undertake via a delegation agreement with the NZ Transport Agency.

If a lamp is not working or the signals are not working properly (often because there is a broken detector) you can contact Hamilton City Council and we will arrange to have our contractor visit the site and undertake the necessary repairs.

Find out more about how traffic signals work. (PDF, 573KB) 

Signs – including amenity signs 

Damaged or stolen signs

For any damaged or stolen signs please contact Hamilton City Council with details of the location of the missing or damaged sign.

Signs such as Give Way or Stop will be replaced within two days but other signs will take longer as they may have to be specially made.

For signs on the State Highway, contact Fulton Hogan on 07 847 5127 to report damage.

Signs for our private lanes

Signs marking private lanes or right of ways belong to the property owners and Council does not maintain them. These signs can be distinguished as they have blue lettering on a white background (the reverse of a standard street name sign).

We can arrange for a Council contractor to repair/replace the sign but all costs will be charged to the property owners.

Amenity signage for schools, churches and other community organisations

Amenity signs are used where street name signs provide less than adequate directions to certain public amenities, e.g. a community hall. Signs are in a format similar to street name signs, having blue lettering on white background (or white on brown for amenities with significant tourist activity).

To avoid excessive clutter and to ensure consistency of signage, Hamilton City Council has adopted a policy of approving signs only where such amenities:

  • offer facilities or services available to the wider community; and
  • regularly attract visitors likely to be unfamiliar with the area.

Signs are to be generic in nature, rather than displaying specific trade names, e.g. church, community hall. Signs shall not be permitted where the amenity is sited on a recognised main (principal or arterial) road.

All installation and on-going maintenance work shall be carried out by Hamilton City Council’s signs contractor, with all costs being the responsibility of the applicant.

If you think your organisation qualifies for signage, please complete the Amenity Sign Application Form (PDF, 172KB) and return it to the City Transportation Unit for approval.

If approved, City Transportation will send you an invoice and once you have returned this with payment, your sign will be ordered and duly installed (please allow three weeks for manufacture and installation).

If your request is not approved you will be sent a letter explaining why the approval has not been given.

Signs that need to be sited on State Highways require approval from the New Zealand Transport Agency. Contact the local office for more information, phone 07 958 7840.

Page reviewed: 04 Aug 2015 3:49pm