Corridor Access Requests

​​​​​​​All excavation and activities carried out within the road corridor (fence to fence) must be carried out in accordance with the National Code of Practice for Utilities Operators Access to the Transport Corridors and the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management.

We have a requirement under the Local Government Act to manage people working on the road, particularly utility network operators working within the road reserve.

The objectives of managing corridor access are to ensure that people working in the road do so safely and don't present a hazard to the public, to ensure that any proposed works will not conflict with Council assets, and are reinstated properly on completion. That is why any person or business planning to dig up part of the road/berm as part of a project, such as installing a new driveway, laying water pipes, or holding an event, must have an approved Corridor Access Request. If you are carrying out work on a private property or business property but need to use some of the road reserve please check our Use of Footpath Space section to see if you need to apply for Corridor Access.

A Corridor Access Request (CAR) application can be made by going to the BeforeUDig website, (Excavations and Utility Installations) or Corridor Access Request website (Non-Excavations and Events) registering, filling in an application form including a sketch or plan of the location and works, and then clicking "submit".

A Traffic Management Plan will also need to be submitted when applying for a Corridor Access Request. This can be done at the same time as the application. To find out more about Traffic Management plans, visit Temporary Traffic Management Plans.  

Fees are applicable for applications from Utility Operators for access to the transport corridor of Hamilton City in accordance with the National Code of Practice for Utility Operators Access to Transport Corridors (issued 10 November 2011). A link to the latest fees can be found on Fees and Charges.

General Conditions and Local Conditions

CAR General Conditions (PDF, 55KB)

CAR Hamilton City Council Local Conditions (PDF, 48KB)

In addition to the general conditions in the Code local conditions also apply as follows:

  • Work adjacent to schools and preschool institutions must not take place in the times immediately before and after school except in the case of emergencies.
​Special Paving, Amenity Areas and Decorative Areas

Special Paving Areas must;

  1. Be reinstated by a specialist Contractor

  2. Match the original standard, with the same quality, texture, type, colour and material of the existing pavement and minimal visible evidence of the Trench reinstatement;

  3. Have the whole panel replaced, where the paving is laid out in panels;

  4. Match any special treatments used in the existing construction (e.g. geogrid membranes, chip seal, high friction surface, grooved asphaltic concrete); and

  5. Use alternatives agreed with the Corridor Manager, where matching materials are not available

Some treatments such as geogrids need extended excavation to properly anchor the product.
  1.  Amenity and special decorative areas must;

  2. Be reinstated by a Contractor approved by the Corridor Manager;

  3. Match the original standard, with the same quality, texture, type, colour and material as the existing pavement, with minimal visible evidence of the Tranche reinstatement;

  4. Have urban design features, architectural finishes, gardens, artworks and landscaping properly reinstated to the pre-existing condition.

Rototuna Town Centre special paving area

CBD special paving area

Work in the CBD impacting parking technology

​Hamilton has significant parking sensor technology invested in the CBD and work such as resealing, kerb and channel, road maintenance or street light replacements in this area can impact this technology. 

The CBD Parking Technology Precinct map​ shows the locations of the CBD parking precincts that contain parking technology. 

Unmanned aircraft/drones

Visit the Unmanned aircraft/drones page for the requirements for flying drones or other unmanned aircraft within Hamilton City boundaries.

In some areas such as parks and reserves this activity is permitted (with certain conditions) however If you wish to fly over the road corridor in association with an event, road maintenance, project or any other activity then you will need to apply for a Corridor Access Request, as per the above information.

With the corridor access request you need to ensure:

  1. It's associated with a Traffic Management Plan
  2. You comply with all Civil Aviation Authority and Privacy Act requirements
  3. You have public liability insurance
  4. You provide evidence whether you will be operating under Civil Aviation Rule Part 101 or Part 102.

In assessing the risks of flying unmanned aircraft within road corridors, Hamilton City Council may require the Applicant to obtain certification from the CAA under Part 102.

For more information on the Civil Aviation requirements you can visit or contact us on or ph 838 6699.

Notes to fees and charges

The definitions of the categories are as stated in the National Code of Practice for Utility Operators' Access to Transport Corridors (published November 2011, amended February 2013)

The application fee includes:

  • Traffic Management Plan (TMP) approval
  • Processing of the application
  • Issuing a Works Access Permit (WAP)
  • Works completion sign-off (into warranty period)
  • Warranty period sign-off
  • Minimal site inspections as deemed necessary by the council's City Transportation Unit CAR Manager. Please note that site inspections relating to complaint resolution, further defects or dangerous works are not included in the application fee, and are charged at the hourly rate.
Page reviewed: 11 Jun 2021 7:37am