Trade Waste Applications

​​​To apply for trade waste consent, download and complete the Trade Waste Application Form​ (PDF, 232KB).

Consent process

Trade waste consents are issued on the basis that pre-treatment equipment is installed before discharge occurs.

Before purchasing or installing pre-treatment equipment, it is recommended that you contact the Trade Waste Officer in the City Waters Unit at Hamilton City Council on 07 838 6999, or email us. 

A registered plumber will need to complete any alterations or pipe work. 

The City Waters Environmental Officer will confirm that the pre-treatment is correctly installed and works properly. Ideally, the installing plumber should be on site. This inspection is separate from, and different to, any inspection by the plumbing and drainage inspector, who ensures the plumbing and drainage, complies with the Building Act. Please contact the environment office for an inspection.

The consent will provide details of:

  • the amount of wastewater that can be discharged to the wastewater system;
  • the type and amount of substances in the wastewater;
  • the type of pre-treatment required;
  • servicing requirements; and
  • the annual cost of the consent compliance monitoring.

Discharge fees and charges

All businesses that intend to discharge trade waste to the Hamilton City Council wastewater system will incur charges. All businesses are required to pay annual trade waste charges; however, additional charges will depend on the amount of trade waste being discharged and its nature. 

See the Fees and Charges Sched​ule​.

Page reviewed: 05 Oct 2016 1:02pm