Trade Waste

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Trade waste is any liquid that is discharged from industrial or business premises to Hamilton City Council’s wastewater system. Discharging trade waste directly to the wastewater system can cause blockages, overflows and introduce hazardous substances that can be a health risk to the public and to the environment.

If you own a business or industrial plant that intends to discharge liquid waste you will need to apply to the Hamilton City Council for a trade waste consent

Trade Waste Shared Services

On July 1 2012, Hamilton City Council  joined with Waipa District Council to launch Shared Services for trade waste. A key aim is to deliver integrated, sustainable and well-managed services that also protect and enhance the environment.

As a result of this initiative – which was developed from the wider sub-regional 3 water’s strategy – trade waste customers will receive a consistent trade waste service across the three council territories. The sharing of staff and resources will ensure a streamlined and efficient business model.

For the councils, the benefits include improved compliance and monitoring, and an effective user pays approach to trade waste.

For more information about Trade Waste Services please phone 07 838 6999 or 0800 357 358 or email

Managing Trade Waste Discharge

If you discharge Trade Waste to the wastewater network then under the Hamilton City Council Trade Waste Bylaw you must apply for a trade waste consent.

Stormwater and wastewater systems are very different.

  • Stormwater discharges directly to waterways.
  • Wastewater is fully treated at the Wastewater Treatment Plant before being discharged.

It is very important that stormwater is not directed into the wastewater system, and that wastewater and trade waste are not directed into the stormwater system as this can significantly affect both public health and the environment.

Application for Trade Waste Discharge 

Any business that discharges wastewater into Hamilton City Council’s wastewater system may need to comply with the trade waste bylaw. You must obtain a trade waste consent from Council before you discharge trade waste to the wastewater system. 

Hamilton City Council Trade Waste & Wastewater Bylaw 2016

Hamilton City Council replaced its existing Trade Waste Bylaw 2006 with a new bylaw; the  Hamilton Trade Waste and Wastewater Bylaw 2016, on August 15, 2016.

The new bylaw sets out what is and is not allowed into the city’s wastewater, gives clarity on everyone’s responsibilities in using the wastewater system, and provides clear direction to trade waste consent holders and tankered-waste operators on how they will need to manage any discharges to the system. For further information view the Trade Waste Regulations page.

Alternatively, a copy of the trade waste bylaw can be purchased from:

City Waters
Ground Floor, Council Offices
Garden Place
Hamilton City Council

If you’re unsure whether your business needs to get a trade waste consent, contact the Trade Waste Officer.
Page reviewed: 04 Oct 2021 1:50pm