Wastewater Regulations


The Hamilton Tradewaste and Wastewater Bylaw helps protect Hamilton's Wastewater systems and the Waikato River by setting out everyone's responsibilities in regards to Wastewater. 

It gives the Council authority to require actions are taken to ensure the wastewater system and natural environment are protected. 

TradeWaste and Wastewater Bylaw 2016

Hamilton City Council replaced its existing Trade Waste Bylaw 2006 with a new bylaw; the  ​Hamilton Trade Waste and Wastewater Bylaw 2016, on August 15, 2016. 

The new bylaw sets out what is and is not allowed into the city's wastewater, gives clarity on everyone's responsibilities in using the wastewater system, and provides clear direction to trade waste consent holders and tankered-waste operators on how they will need to manage any discharges to the system.

City Water Induction Requests

As of the 1st of July 2017 all contractors and subcontractors operating on councils assets will be required registered with the Health and Safety

Any contractors and subcontractors working at specific sites will need to have completed and induction prior to being able to start any physicals works. These sites being;

  1. Pukete Treatment Plant

  2. Wairoa Treatment Plant

  3. Water Storage Reservoirs

  • Hamilton South
  • Newcastle
  • Dinsdale
  • Ruakiwi
  • Maeroa
  • Pukete
  • Rototuna
  • Fairfield

4.  Alternative Water Supply

  • Claudelands​

5.  Water Pressure Boosting Stations

  • Somerton
  • North Point
  • Dinsdale​

Induction course are routinely held at their respective plants with the Waiora site also covering the water reservoirs and booster stations. Please complete the following request form​.

Wastewater Q&A

What is wastewater?
Domestic wastewater is what people flush down toilets/sinks/showers from the residential properties  

What is Trade Waste?
Is waste water that may contain different types of chemicals/pollutants which need to be treated before being discharged to the HCC wastewater network.  

I’m a Tradewaste discharger what should I do?
If you believe you are a tradewaste discharge you need to apply for a tradewaste consent

Why can’t I flush anything down the toilet or down the sink?
Hamilton City Council treats all wastewater (domestic and tradewaste) with a biological treatment process. If we don’t strictly control what people discharge to the wastewater network it may cause problems in the treatment process and end up polluting the Waikato River.

What about wet wipes – can they be flush down the toilet?
Material wipes should not be flushed down the toilet as the material used is too tough to break down in the treatment process –  wipes cause pumps and pipes to block up.

Can I connect my roof downpipes into my wastewater system? 
No – only wastewater can be discharged to the wastewater network – Hamilton has separate wastewater and stormwater systems. Adding stormwater into the wastewater network causes major problems in the treatment process and ends up polluting the Waikato River.

If your roof downpipes are connected to the wastewater system you will need to remove them and discharge stormwater appropriately. 

How do I get a new wastewater connection to my property? 
You will need to apply to Hamilton City Council for a new connection.

I have a blocked wastewater pipe – who is responsible to fix it?
Wastewater pipes inside a property boundary are the responsibility of the property owner to fix and clear any blockages. A qualified plumber/drain layer should be contacted. 

My wastewater pipes have been damaged by a neighbour’s tree roots? 
You should contact the owner of the property where the tree is planted and discuss matters with them. 

Where a private tree has caused damage to the Hamilton City Council wastewater system, Council may take steps to remove the offending tree and seek to recover costs.  

There is a wastewater manhole on my property – who is responsible for it? 
You will need to ring Hamilton City Council on 838 6699 to identify who owns the manhole.  Under no circumstances can you cover or obstruct the manhole.

Permits & Consents

Wastewater private connections

Hamilton City Council has a wastewater connections process that enables Council to manage the wastewater network. See Connections for information on how to connect to the Hamilton City Council Wastewater System.

Tradewaste connections

Most business will be required to have a tradewaste consent. This is a written agreement or permit to discharge wastewater to the system. You will need to contact Tradewaste Shared Services in order to see if you qualify as a permitted consent holder, before discharge can occur

► Tradewaste services 0800 357 358

Pollution Control Plan

Depending on the type of work to be carried out on site you may be required to have A Pollution Control plan.  This is a written record detailing how you will manage the stormwater pollution risks from your site.

View our Stormwater page

Page reviewed: 07 Jul 2021 10:42am