The wastewater network services 50,000 households, and provides trade waste services to 4,000 commercial and industrial premises.
To deliver the wastewater activity, we:
- Protect the health and safety of the community and the people who provide the activity
- Provide a reliable, resilient and responsive wastewater service
- Plan for future growth and demand
- Ensure sustainable, environmental and economic delivery which meets customer expectations
- Stormwater is uncontaminated and can be discharged directly to waterways.
- Wastewater is contaminated, and must be fully treated, to remove the contaminants, at the Wastewater Treatment Plant before being discharged.
See Connections for information on how to connect to the Hamilton City Council Wastewater System.
Wastewater Treatment Plant – Pukete
The Pukete Wastewater Treatment Plant is Hamilton's only wastewater treatment facility.
Wastewater Treatment Plant history
Hamilton has a history of 700-800 years of Maaori occupancy with the Waikato River providing the necessities of life. The first permanent European settlers arrived in 1864.
By 1913 the Frankton Town Board was providing a public water supply and the first of 14 community septic tanks were constructed in 1925. These tanks discharged into the Waikato River and Waitawhiriwhiri Stream and were supported by a network of pipes and pump stations.
In 1975/76 the Pukete Wastewater Treatment Plant was commissioned and the septic tanks were taken out of service. The plant consisted of a screening and primary sedimentation prior to discharge to the Waikato River.
In 2001 a substantial upgrade occurred providing secondary treatment, chlorine disinfection was replaced with UV and solid stream and centrifuge improvements were made.
Council obtained a new resource consent in 2007 to continue to discharge treated wastewater into the Waikato River. This consent included a number of stringent conditions in regards to the quality of the treated wastewater discharged which influenced the third upgrade.
A third upgrade (commonly known as Pukete II Upgrade), completed in 2014 ensures the plant has the capacity to meet the demand of today and improve compliance with resource consent conditions in relation to quality.
In 2013, Council ceased the practice of sending our biosolids to landfill. These are now transferred to a private vermicompositing facility in Tokoroa where they are treated further and re-used for land remediation.
 Vemicomposting is the process by which our wastewater sludge is added to wood chips and through the use of worms a highly organic compost is created. This compost is then used for land rehabilitation.